Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Green Thumb?

Do I have a green thumb? I don't know but we are about to find out. This weekend my mom gave me two plants. Let's see if I can keep them alive and growing.

The first one is a pregnant onion. I have been looking for one for about two years and when I mentioned it to her she found one for me. She bought it about two months ago and was going to keep it for me until our next trip to her house.  She told me about two weeks ago that she thought she had killed it and would look for another one. Then she fell and broke her hip and just hadn't had the chance to look.

While we were there this weekend she gave me a pothos plant that the hospital had given her. While carrying it out I spotted a little pot with a sad looking pregnant onion in it.
It has lost all of its long leaves but it is still alive! I told her I thought maybe it just got too much water. So I brought it home.

The pothos was in a very small pot and the roots were coming out the bottom.
So I repotted it....

Hopefully I can keep them healthy and they get really big. And let's hope the pregnant onion blesses me with lots of little babies!

More about the pregnant onion
(ornithogalum longibracteatum):
**this information taken from ehow. Photos from lpfleamarket.blogspot.


The pregnant onion isn't actually an onion at all and should not be eaten. It is called that because of its onion shape and because it reproduced by growing babies under its skin giving it a pregnant look. 

It is native to South Africa and grows well in most similar climates. It needs well drained soil that is allowed to dry out between waterings. Over watering is the leading cause of death for these plants. 

Mature plants will flower, but even though I have had several of these, none of mine have ever bloomed.

More about the pothos plant.
**information taken from gardening.about.com, photos from good to grow.wordpress.com

This is an easy plant to have. It has long-growing leafy vines that can reach 40 feet or more.

Pruning it will help keep the plant fuller. It is tolerant of low light conditions and erratic watering. It can flower but is very rare. Like the pregnant onion, it likes for the soil to dry out between waterings. They are easy to root new plants from cuttings by placing in damp soil or a glass of water.
These plants can get infested with mealy bugs. The easiest way to fight them is to dab them with an alcohol soaked cotton swab. These plants are poisonous and should be kept from kids and pets.

I am looking forward to caring for these two plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment